"How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it" - George Alliston

"Do something today that doesn't have to be done again tomorrow."
- Author unknown

Thursday, September 30, 2010

guard again Charity Burnout

a while ago i posted about how Quilter's are Amazing - don't worry - i still think that!

i read something a while ago about 'charity burnout'.  it is the phenomenon where good people are so bombarded with the suffering and need in the world and community around them, that they become burnt out by it.  they become desensitized and decide it is easier to do nothing.

i know that this is tempting, and we all have so much going on in our own lives - but (yes, im up on my puggy soap box) can i encourage us all to guard again this!

i know we can't always be involved in everything we are asked to be - and that is fine!!!!!
but don't let your heart go hard.
if you can't be involved, still send an encouragement, or say a prayer, or hold love in your heart.

the reason i was thinking about all this is that i checked in on how Liz's quilt was going for her ill friend Sue.  it turns out she has so many offers of blocks that she has enough to make TWO quilts! so cool!

so, she is redirecting people to send orphan or new blocks to the effort that is on Catalina's blog - she is making quilts for the kids affected by the NZ earthquake.

if you have the time, check it out and send some quilty love to our cousin's across the ditch as we say in Oz.

i have no more orphan blocks left (isn't it nice they are all adopted now!), but will post a piccie of what i make to send

don't forget the wonderful Cheryll's drive to make Blankets of Love for stillborn babies - check out her blog for info

ok, my puggy legs are off my soap box and back on the ground.  in fact, they will carry me shortly into my sewing area for more quilting fun!  hope you get some today too!

pugs and kisses
xx

4 comments:

Maria said...

Actually I really love to spread my fabric around to all sorts of charities , as you know.
I actually feel a little guilty doing all this sewing for the hanging.BUT in two weeks I am on a mission to make some Huggles etc.

CathyC said...

Crafty, you would not believe what I was doing just 5 mins ago - I was looking at some photos on DH's laptop of some buildings that were damaged in the quake & aftershocks. Some of his fellow work colleagues went over to help with the safety/engineering inspections of the buildings and one of my thoughts was 'I wonder what I could do' - am off to check out the blogs you suggested - thanks for mentioning it on your blog.

crafty pug said...

you ladies rock! thanks for all you do
xx

Cat said...

WOW thank you for directing people to my blog and also for your blocks which arrived today. Quilters love is amazing - this is my first experience with it - and I am humbled by the love and stitches of woman around the world.